Indexation is a process that prepares the general SKU data, such as the catalogue, prices and stocks, and updates the information to serve as a basis for searches and for setting up the site display shelves.
Every time product data is altered in these modules*, the database is reindexed.
When the SKU logistics changes, reindexation only takes place when the initial or final value of the stock change is less than 5, because this is the limit for updating every increment or decrease in an item. For more information, see the article: How the minimum availability rule works.
Once a product is marked for reindexation, the text _indexação pendente _is included in the product listing in admin. The indexer takes these products and puts them in a queue, with a 2-minute waiting time, for processing. After the 2 minutes, the product is available for indexation. In this process, all the VTEX modules are consulted, and prices and availability updated for every sales policy. This process takes an average of 4 minutes.
The indexation report is an admin page which shows the status of indexation of the products in your store. The path to access it is the following:
- Access the E-Commerce module;
- Click on tab Relatórios;
- Select Relatório de Indexação.
Here the products are divided according to each step of the indexation process and to the periods during which they have been in this process:
- Total Indexado, Ainda não enfileirado and Total na Fila: these relate to the stages of the product in the process – Ainda não enfileirado (Still not queued) are those that were changed in less than 2 minutes, and Total na fila (Total in queue) are those that have started the indexation process, after these 2 minutes.
- Na fila entre 1 e 4 horas, Na fila de 4 a 8 horas and Na fila há mais de 8 horas: these are the periods for which the products have been in the indexation process.
The indexation report also indicates the time the last item took to be reindexed. This is shown on the upper right side of the report (see the image above).
The following are some of the triggers for indexing:
- Availability in stock;
- Change in installment payments;
- Product activated or deactivated;
- Price change;
- Promotion initiated/cancelled;
- Collection started/ended.
The “Forçar Indexação” has been removed from the product listing page, since all the indexing procedures have been changed to allow for quicker updating.
The number of tries for indexing items is limited. This means that, if a product cannot be indexed because it has exceeded the time limit three times, it is moved from the principal queue to a subsidiary queue, where a further 7 attempts are made, one every 15 minutes. If the product is still not processed at the end of this time, it is removed from the subsidiary queue and not processed again until its next update, when it will reenter the flow.
The time limit can be reached because of the number of checks the product goes through. Each check is an event in the catalogue. It is calculated as follows:
Number of SKU of the product x number of commercial policies x promotions in which the product appears x number of geographical regions x number of collections in which the product is featured.